Nessebar Resort, Bulgaria
The seaside resort Nessebar is a popular summer spot, located close to the city of Bourgas. It is a busy summer destination with the picturesque historical monuments and buildings of UNESCO World Heritage site. Nessebar is definitely a must when you are spending the summer vacation on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast!
Nessebar is also one of the oldest towns in Europe, dating from 3,000 years. The peninsula of Nessebar – the ancient town of “Messambria Pontica”, called during the late Middle Ages “Mesambria” and later Nessebar has inhabited thousands of years ago at the end of the Bronze Age. The old Thracians call it “Melsambia”, meaning “the city of Melsa”, the legendary founder of the settlement. The resort has two suitable harbours – south and north, where there are still several remains of ancient vessels.
Nessebar is a cultural destination, preferred from many tourists, looking for museums, old churches and ancient ruins. The resort offers as well beautiful golden beaches. The first thing you will see when entering the ancient city is the Wooden Windmill, which is one of the symbols of the resort. Like every popular vacation destination, the city provides variety of accommodation options – hotels, all-inclusive complexes, guest houses, apartments, as well as many restaurants. There is a place for anyone, regardless of the budget.
Nessebar is located conveniently close to Bourgas city and its airport as well as the lively resort Sunny Beach. The historical old town and the great little beaches are making it desirable and enjoyable destination. The close proximity to Sunny Beach provides much entertainment and all-night fun. The closest airport is 25 km away – Bourgas International Airport. Varna Airport is 100 km northern. Get a quote for airport transfer to Nessebar:
What to do in Nessebar:
The city offers perfect conditions for a summer holiday on the beach, combined with a unique cultural experience. The list with the activities and places to visit in the area will satisfy everyone!
- Explore the Old City of Nessebar: behind the majestic old fortress walls, you will find yourself in long-time gone ancient epochs. The narrow cobbled streets will take you to pretty small shops selling local art and handcrafted souvenirs – woodcarving, pottery, crocheting, jewellery and many more. The Old town is like a magnet for tourists and in the summer there are always a lot of people there, walking around the old churches and museums. According to the legend, there were 40 churches in the place. Nowadays many of them are preserved. There is no chance to miss the Church of the “Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel”, dates from 13-th century. It is small by size, but unique in its coloured brickwork and artwork inside. It is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the 100 national tourist sites in Bulgaria.
- Visit the Archaeological Museum of Nessebar, where you have the chance to meet the ancient civilizations, lived on these lands. There are tangible traces of 4 civilizations – the Thracian, the Hellenes, the Romans and the Byzantines. Each hall of the museum presents different periods of the town’s existence under the domination of the Thracians, the Roman Empire, the Byzantine Empire, and the Bulgarian State.
- Visit the harbour: it is the perfect place for romantic walks in the warm summer nights. The port is a starting point for many boat excursions in the area.
- Raise your adrenaline in “Aqua Paradise”: great water park, located in the new town. Perfect for a day out and have fun with friends or family.
- Have fun at a party in Sunny Beach: the most famous party destination in Bulgaria is less than 5 km away. The most popular DJs in Europe are performing every night in different clubs, so the party never ends.
The best tours in Nessebar:
With so many sights, attractions and activity opportunities, Nessebar definitely must be on your list with places to visit this summer. Our top recommended tours in near Nessebar are:
>> Excursion to Nessebar: Day trip with transport and licensed guide, starting from Golden Sands, Albena, Kranevo etc.
>> Nessebar from Obzor: you can book a day trip to Nessebar from Obzor. Find more information here and reserve online:
Nessebar is a modernised summer resort, where the cultural traditions are still alive. It is the ancient historical treasure of Bulgaria and one of the most preferred seaside destinations. Throughout every small street in Nessebar, you can feel the romantic spirit of the old “Mesembria” with its churches and monuments. This ancient atmosphere will make your stay exceptional.